Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Busy days...Spring is on the brink--make your own greenhouse

I have been so busy lately.  Spring brings new things:
-Longer days
-more sun shine
-ALLERGIES
-time to plants
-Spring cleaning
the list can go on and on and on.

Lets start with Allergies.
K has had an awful cough going on 2 weeks.  I took her to the doctor Monday.  She took one look at her and said "she has allergies".  She could tell by her eyes.  I don't have allergies so I don't know this stuff.  She was also running a low grade fever.  However, the doctor is treating the allergies for now and if her fever spikes or the cough gets worse of not better, we need to go back.

Last night was the first night in 3 nights that BOTH of us have been able to get a full nights sleep!  YAY for SLEEP!

Have you started your garden?
I have since I do a container garden (plant everything in pots) and I am starting from seeds this year, I have already planted.  I just transplanted the other day :)

TIP:
How to make your own greenhouse and recycle while you are at it.


You will need the bottom of an egg container (I used a 1 dozen one and the cardboard one instead of the Styrofoam one)
Starter soil (or peat) I got a bag at walmart for $2 (I will last you a long time)
Seeds
Plastic sealable storage bag

Fill each of the "egg holders" with the peat-starter soil
Add 3-4 seeds in each and barely cover up (I used an old christmas card cut up to label what seeds where where)
water well but not flooding the seeds (this is best done with a spray bottle)
Put inside a plastic storage bag, seal.
Put it in the sun during the day and leave it alone.
No more watering  or anything, the condensation is all it needs.

Transplant when you have 3-4 good leaves on the seedlings, make sure to water well when you transplant.

Here is my current one-- I just transplanted my seedlings from my first batch and I am growing more. :)


Have a great day!

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment